Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Residency change--MN to AZ

My wife and I changed our primary residence from MN to AZ as of 1/1/20. This year I will be filing as a MN resident, but I would like to see what my state income tax would have been this year if I were an AZ resident in 2019. I have created a copy of my 2019 Federal/MN return using Save As. Can I just download the AZ state tax module from Intuit and use the AZ tax calculations instead of the MN without having to re-enter all my tax data into a new return file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, you don't have to have actually Efiled, since you are working with a separate copy. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you could add a State in TurboTax to 'what if' your state tax return for that state. 

In the My Info section, change your Resident State to Arizona, so that your Federal info transfers in the AZ State return, instead of the Minnesota return. 

Thanks for the info. I had actually started to do that after creating a copy of my Federal/MN by using Save As. When I pulled up the copy and indicated that I wanted to remove my MN return, I was presented with a screen that gave me a dire warning about this process being a permanent removal of my MN info, and I became concerned that I might actually wind up with having my MN module removed. Obviously a problem if I ever have to file an amended return. Do you know what happens when I click the Remove State Return button?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Since you are working with a copy of your original return, you can safely remove Minnesota, since you have already filed your state return there. 

Working with the 'dummy' return, you could change your address in the Personal Info section to your new Arizona address, so no reference to Minnesota appears in TurboTax. 

So I need to make sure I have actually e-filed my Federal/MN return BEFORE I remove the MN info, even tho I'm working with a copy and not the original?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, you don't have to have actually Efiled, since you are working with a separate copy. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies