Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paid state taxes for UI/SUI/paid family leave to NY and NJ

I moved between NY and NJ while working at the same company, and my W-2 had both NY and NJ taxes taken for Paid Family Leave and UI/SUI for the corresponding state while I was living there. For example, I had maxed out the NY Paid Family Leave annual tax, but then I was also paying the NJ Paid Family Leave tax during the other part of the year for the NJ portion. Is this appropriate or is there anything that I should do (such as when filing my returns to get one of the two states to give me a refund for those “duplicate” taxes, tell my employer, etc)? I realize they are for two separate states and it probably means that I just have to pay those taxes “twice,” but just wanted to confirm. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The UI and family leave taxes should be based on the state where you worked, not where you lived. Did you work part of the year in NY and part of the year in NJ? If so, you have to pay the taxes for both states.

But if you worked in the same company location all year, you should only pay the UI and FLI taxes for the state that you worked in, even though you lived in two different states. If your employer incorrectly withheld UI and FLI taxes for a state that you did not work in at all, you should ask the employer to give you a refund of the incorrectly withheld taxes, and give you a corrected W-2.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The UI and family leave taxes should be based on the state where you worked, not where you lived. Did you work part of the year in NY and part of the year in NJ? If so, you have to pay the taxes for both states.

But if you worked in the same company location all year, you should only pay the UI and FLI taxes for the state that you worked in, even though you lived in two different states. If your employer incorrectly withheld UI and FLI taxes for a state that you did not work in at all, you should ask the employer to give you a refund of the incorrectly withheld taxes, and give you a corrected W-2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies