turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SD49
Level 1

NYS

My NYS return was rejected because the program didn't pick up the sales tax properly from my 1040A. Kindly explain

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

NYS

Do you mean Schedule A?   There is no longer a federal Form 1040A.   On your federal return, if you itemize, you have the option to deduct either Sales Tax paid or State/Local Income Taxes paid.   NY state has its own rules for itemizing deductions and does not follow the federal guidelines.  When you go through the state return, you adjust for these differences.  

For federal purposes, a taxpayer’s total itemized deduction for state and local taxes paid is limited to a combined amount not to exceed $10,000 ($5,000 MFS). In addition, a taxpayer can no longer deduct foreign taxes paid on real estate. For New York purposes, a taxpayer's state and local taxes are not subject to the federal limit and foreign taxes paid on real estate can be deducted.

Check your email/rejection notice and please respond back with the state reject code or verbiage used.  It is unlikely that your state return was rejected because of a sales tax figure.  Go back through the NY return in TurboTax and print/view the return before you resubmit it.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SD49
Level 1

NYS

The error code is R0130 - NYC withholding on form not = withholding on statements

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

NYS

This has nothing to do with sales tax, but with New York City tax withheld.

New York's error code R0130 relates to line 73 of Form IT-201 or IT-201X, or line 63 of Form IT-203 or IT-203X.  See the NYS e-file Error Code listing for more information.

You should double-check all of your New York City tax withholding inputs.

jane99

NYS

How do I fix this problem, when all the data I entered was as it is shown of the 1099R?

Light1

NYS

I didn't see a response to this question? Does anyone know where I need to resolve this or provide direction? All my information seems in order.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

NYS

@Light1  We can't see your return in this Public Forum.  As mentioned above, make sure that all of your amounts of NYC withholdings have been entered into the corresponding screens correctly.  If you can't see the error, you may need to contact customer service.  If you think that it will be challenging to resolve this today, you could take the precautionary action of filing a NY extension to resolve this.

Light1

NYS

In what area do I adjust that information? I'm using the mobile app...

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

NYS

Check your W-2, 1099-G, 1099-R entries.  Again, if you do not see anything obvious, please feel free to reach out to customer service:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies