Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NYC Filing for Non-resident

I live in NJ and have a rental unit in NYC. Do I have to file an individual  NYC return (or pay NYC surcharge to NYS return) due to this rental unit? I know I need to file NYS return to pay taxes on rental income/ track rental losses.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Your New York City (NYC) taxes will be included with the New York State (NYS) taxes when you file your nonresident tax return for NYS.

You will have the opportunity to enter your rental income as you go through the return after you select the nonresidency status.

When you complete the income sections you will come to a page labeled 'Take a look at New York credits and taxes' is not necessary for your wages unless you are an employee of the City of New York.

See the image below for an example of where you will enter the rental income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your New York City tax will be included when you file your New York State tax return, as you will indicate that you have income from New York City when you complete your tax return in TurboTax.

I finished going through the whole NYS return and the only part it askes me about NYC is whether I am a NYC resident, which I am not. Then no NYC part ever popped up on the NYS return... Could you please advise where in Turbo I can indicate I have rental income from NYC?      I also get w-2 wages from nyc, but I never file a NYC return for my w2 job, so I thought having a renal in NYC won't trigger nyc filing...Thanks!

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Your New York City (NYC) taxes will be included with the New York State (NYS) taxes when you file your nonresident tax return for NYS.

You will have the opportunity to enter your rental income as you go through the return after you select the nonresidency status.

When you complete the income sections you will come to a page labeled 'Take a look at New York credits and taxes' is not necessary for your wages unless you are an employee of the City of New York.

See the image below for an example of where you will enter the rental income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies