turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not able to file state taxes

I paid for the deluxe version based off of suggestions from turbo tax, which include state and federal. But it wouldn’t let me file my state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. If the federal and state are not filed simultaneously, then you must wait for the federal return to be accepted before e-filing your state tax return. The federal return is typically is accepted within 24-48 hours after submission.

This article explains the necessary sequence: Can I file my state return before my federal? 

Check our E-File Status Lookup Tool to get your current federal filing status.

Click the link below for more options in tracking your federal return.

Federal Return Refund Tracking

@justin2018h

I purchased the deluxe edition and the product is trying to charge me $24.99 to efile my state form.  I read some of the other questions on one answer was to delete the state return and then add it back on.   I did that, but the product still want me to pay to file the state form.

Please help!

Liza

@ LizaFromMontana  wrote:

I purchased the deluxe edition and the product is trying to charge me $24.99 to efile my state form.  I read some of the other questions on one answer was to delete the state return and then add it back on.   I did that, but the product still want me to pay to file the state form.

Please help!

I'm not sure what you read, but it's not correct in this situation.  You must have read instructions for Online TurboTax for filing a Federal return only without paying for a state return.   In desktop software, deleting a state return and adding it back later won't make a difference in the state efile fee.   There is no way to efile a state return without the 24.99 fee unless it's New York state.

In the desktop product, if you want to efile the state return, there is no way to avoid paying the 24.99 state efile fee (except free for New York state.)  The only way to not pay the 24.99 is to choose to print and mail the state return.

NOTE:  If you efile, be sure to pay it with credit/debit card.  If you choose to pay the fee out of your Federal refund, there is an additional 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies