Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moyaa1

How do I apply my State refund to next year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
aa106106

this year 2018 tt is generating a 1099-G, I did not receive a form 1099-G this year
nyinyeb

The area to enter this is actually under the estimated payments section.

Here's how to apply your state refund to next year:

• When you’re going through your state return, after you’ve dealt with any additional entries or adjustments for income and credits and taxes, you’ll reach a screen titled “A few things before we wrap you your state taxes”.
  •  Scroll down to Other tax forms and click start/revisit across from Make Estimated Payments for Next Year.
  • Say “YES” that you want to start the state estimated taxes section now
  • Make entries on the next few screens as appropriate.
  • You must go through the process to generate estimated payment vouchers in order to apply the refund to the estimates.

I had gone through reviewing State (CA) return once but have not filed yet. Now when I do it again, I see +Next, we'll ask you to correct any entries that need your attention".  After I hit CONTINUE,  I see my Fed & State with a Checkmarks indicating all Fed/State checked out ok. But I don't see the steps you outlined in your response to select Apply State Refund to Next Year Estimated Payments

I had gone through reviewing State (CA) return once but have not filed yet. Now when I do it again, I see +Next, we'll ask you to correct any entries that need your attention".  After I hit CONTINUE,  I see my Fed & State with a Checkmarks indicating all Fed/State checked out ok. But I don't see the steps you outlined in your response to select Apply State Refund to Next Year Estimated Payments
jpk
Returning Member

neither do I
PK2K
Level 2

Just in case anyone is still seeking the answer, here's how I did it:

1) while in forms view, select (from the top menu) <Forms> <Open Form>

2) For California, select <Estimated Tax Worksheet>

3) then in <Part II> you'll want to check the box next to the option you're interested in - e.g. check the box next to # 2d, 2e, etc. which will make the 'corresponding 'amount to apply' field editable. From here, you can enter the amount to be applied and any amount still to be refunded will be calculated.

Definitely not as easy to do as in previous years, but at least it's still possible...

bobjc
Returning Member

Go to Line 95 on Form 540 and double click to get to540-ES, the California Estimated Tax Worksheet

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies