Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlan
Returning Member

NC resident working remotely

I live full time in NC, working remotely. I changed employers mid year. First is based in IN, current is based in NY. Do I need to file in all three states? Both W-2 forms have NC listed as the state in Box15, but the addresses are not NC. When I tried to do my NC state taxes on Turbotax, it filled in income info, but I think I'm supposed to do nonresident first?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Please clarify if your W-2s have withholding for the states that you do not live in.  If your W-2 only has withholding for the state that you live in, you do not need to file non-resident tax returns for IN and NY.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mlan
Returning Member

nowhere on the W2 does it state any withholding for NY or IN - i think.  How can I tell? Box 15 has NC, but the other boxes are just labelled "state income tax" - I should assume that refers only to NC?

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Remote work is taxed in the state where the work was performed and since you are a Resident of North Carolina and the work was performed there, there is no reason to file in NY or IN unless you needed to recover mistaken withholding. 

If there is only 1 line for Box 15 to 17, and it is labeled NC, then there was no withholding for NY or IN.
If there are 2 lines, do they have the same amounts as NC?  State income tax would be the amount of withholding for that line. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies