turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My State of residence (on December 31, 2020) was New Jersey but I moved to Colorado on April 28, 2020, and changed residencies. How do I file a different state after NJ.

Turbo Tax only gives me the option to add an additional "Previous state of residence (where you lived before moving)" but I need to add an additional state since I moved after December 31, 2020
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

My State of residence (on December 31, 2020) was New Jersey but I moved to Colorado on April 28, 2020, and changed residencies. How do I file a different state after NJ.

If you moved after December 31, 2020, it would be in 2021, and would affect your 2021 tax returns.  It sounds like you need a New Jersey part year resident return for the period January 1, 2020 to April 27, 2020, and a Colorado part year resident return for the period April 28, 2020 - December 31, 2020.  You should not have any problem entering those dates of residency in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you moved after December 31, 2020, it would be in 2021, and would affect your 2021 tax returns.  It sounds like you need a New Jersey part year resident return for the period January 1, 2020 to April 27, 2020, and a Colorado part year resident return for the period April 28, 2020 - December 31, 2020.  You should not have any problem entering those dates of residency in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies