Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kelsey5
Returning Member

Multiple State Filing

My husband and I moved from MT to MO in late July 2019. We both have 2 W2's (2 from our jobs in MT & 2 from the new jobs in MO). When I get to the state bottom line screen, both of the states have similar taxable income and both are showing more than what the W2's for the respective states add up to. I entered the MT portions of income, but don't see it for the MO return. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Multiple State Filing

If you carefully follow the instructions in this previous TT answer, the program should prepare both state returns correctly:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-file-a-part-year-state-return/00/26057

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Multiple State Filing

1)  The MT part-year should work OK if you did go thru the MT part-year allocation questions.   The tax should be chopped down based on what approx. fraction of income you indicated was MT income (thru July).  Print out your forms, and see what is in the Part-Year allocation forms for MT to see if it is approx correct.

2)  MO is a different issue.  MO is one of a few states that do part-year a bit strangely  (my opinion) and I don't know what choices TTX gives you, or which way would be better. 

MO tells part-year residents to either:  a) File a full-year MO resident tax return for MO...where MO calculates a tax on everything, and then allows you to take a credit for the tax you had to pay MT on the MT part-year tax return.  This may be what you are seeing in your MO forms, but you might have to print them out to be sure...OR... b)  File a full-year non-resident tax return for MO, where you indicate all wages, dividends, interest, cap gains, i.e. all income only from your July move date to the end of the year as MO nonresident income, and calculates a tax on that.  Since this specifically targets only the last half of the year, there is no credit for taxes paid to MT ...since MT didn't  tax anything after July (if done right).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies