turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MA State Filling

HI we have to File for 2018 tax returns. 

I lived here for entire year where as my spouse lived here form April to December. can we file MFJ at state level. We are filing MFJ at Federal level. 

Thank 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

MA State Filling

Massachusetts has a rule that you cannot file Form 1-NR/PY as MFJ unless both spouses are reporting income for the same residency or non-residency period.  Here is their wording:  

Note that a joint Form 1-NR/PY is not allowed unless each spouse is reporting income for the same resident or nonresident period. For example, John (a Massachusetts resident) and Jane (a New Hampshire resident) both work in Massachusetts. After they were married in June 2019, John moved to New Hampshire to live with Jane. They cannot file a joint return because their nonresident tax years are different. (Jane lived in New Hampshire during the entire year, but John only lived there for six months.)
https://www.mass.gov/doc/2019-form-1-nrpy-instructions/download

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

MA State Filling

why form 1 NY-PY. 

TurboTax has generated form 1. we will be residents of MA as we both have lived at least 183 days. 

TomD8
Level 15

MA State Filling

You are correct.  You file MA Form 1, and since you are both regarded as full-year residents, you can file it as MFJ or MFS, your choice.

Page 6, https://www.mass.gov/doc/2019-form-1-instructions/download

Note that since your wife is regarded as a full-year resident by Massachusetts statute, her income for the entire year is subject to MA taxation.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies