Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i started out the year in one state (wisconsin), moved during year (Indiana) but moved back to previous state (Wisconsin), how do I fill out the personal info portion?

I moved back to wisconsin In November of last year, same day i was back i did a change of address at post office. Since it was before December 31st i put wisconsin but since i lived and worked in indiana for 5 months during year (during second week of may) it asked when i became a resident in Wisconsin which made me confused. Is it asking for the date when i returned to wisconsin or before i moved to indiana?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If i started out the year in one state (wisconsin), moved during year (Indiana) but moved back to previous state (Wisconsin), how do I fill out the personal info portion?

State forms are not set up to handle “sandwich” residencies like yours. You can use either date on your part-year Wisconsin tax form — the date you moved out of Wisconsin or the date you moved back in.

Since you lived in Wisconsin for a longer period the first time, I would use the date you left.

Wisconsin adjusts the state standard deduction and exemptions based on the percent of total income you earned in Wisconsin, so the dates of residency as not used to calculate tax. Not listing your total time will not change your refund or amount due.

However, as Tax Champ @Hal_Al says, if you did not move to Indiana with the idea of becoming a permanent resident and did not take any steps to become a permanent resident, such as changing your driver's license or registering to vote, you would still be a WI resident and would file a resident return and non-resident IN return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Is it asking for the date when i returned to Wisconsin or 

A. Before you moved to Indiana.

If your move to IN was only temporary (e.g. you didn't get an IN drivers license),  you should file a WI resident return and an IN non resident return, instead of part year resident returns for both states. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

State forms are not set up to handle “sandwich” residencies like yours. You can use either date on your part-year Wisconsin tax form — the date you moved out of Wisconsin or the date you moved back in.

Since you lived in Wisconsin for a longer period the first time, I would use the date you left.

Wisconsin adjusts the state standard deduction and exemptions based on the percent of total income you earned in Wisconsin, so the dates of residency as not used to calculate tax. Not listing your total time will not change your refund or amount due.

However, as Tax Champ @Hal_Al says, if you did not move to Indiana with the idea of becoming a permanent resident and did not take any steps to become a permanent resident, such as changing your driver's license or registering to vote, you would still be a WI resident and would file a resident return and non-resident IN return.

@ErnieS0 Thank you so much for the answer, that part had me stumped since i began the process when I got my W-2 forms a bit ago.

Would the answer change if I moved to indiana with the intention of it being permanent but only had a change of address? I had an address change but kept my WI state id, wasnt sure if changing an address at the post office messed with tax returns.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Changing a mailing address should not impact your tax return as long as you have the current one for the IRS and  state tax authorities as a contact.  

Different states define residency differently and you are correct, your intention to be come a resident does matter. However, many people work in other states temporarily and have their mail sent to them, so having a mailing address in Indiana would not in itself denote residency there. If you earned money in both states, you will likely be required to file returns in both states and they will allot the income. So, if you file with both as Part-Year Residents, or Wisconsin as Resident and Indiana as Non-Resident, you will be allotting income either way. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You're going to pay the same state tax either way.  Filing as a WI resident is just easier (and probably more accurate). Your situation is "on the fence". It could be interpreted either way. It really doesn't matter. 

@TeresaM @Hal_Al Thank you guys for explaining that.

One last thing, I’ve been filling with turbo tax for the last 4-5 years but I’ve always worked in the same state but with TurboTax, will it take care of both returns for Indiana and Wisconsin in the same session/return/time or once i file the first time l, ill have to start another session? 

May sound stupid but im still very much still a beginner at this.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Will  TurboTax take care of both returns for Indiana and Wisconsin in the same session?

A. Yes.

You will have to pay another fee for the 2nd state.  Do the IN return first, as WI will give you a credit, or partial credit, for the tax you pay to IN. So, IN tax needs to be calculated first. 

@Hal_Al Thank you so much, you literally saved me big time. I appreciate yours and the others help big time.

TomD8
Level 15

"Do the IN return first, as WI will give you a credit, or partial credit, for the tax you pay to IN. So, IN tax needs to be calculated first."

Wisconsin & Indiana have tax reciprocity for W-2 income.  Thus neither will grant an "other state credit" to the residents of the other.  Assuming your income is all reported on a W-2, the portion you earned as a WI resident is taxed only by WI; the portion you earned as an IN resident is taxed only by IN.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Sorry, I didn't realize IN was reciprocal with far away WI.

If IN state  tax was withheld, IN has a specific form (IT-40RNR) for a reciprocal state refund. Rather than paying TurboTax for IN software, you should try filing that form by hand. It looks pretty  simple. Get it here: http://www.in.gov/dor/4733.htm

You cannot get IN county tax, withheld, refunded (box 19 of your W-2)

serenareid
Returning Member

I have the same question. I'm helping a friend who moved from California in August to Missouri. Very first question doing the federal portion asks if you "lived in another state."  She does not have a W-2 from MO so does she check Yes anyway or no?

TomD8
Level 15

@serenareid --

She checks YES anyway.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies