Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i Acidentally file in a state that I haven’t lived in for 2 years could that cause me to owe that state?

I moved from NC in 2019 , I accidentally filed that i lived there in 2021 though i did not and now owe NC for 2020
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If i Acidentally file in a state that I haven’t lived in for 2 years could that cause me to owe that state?

Where is the information coming from that says you owe NC?   Did you receive a letter from the state?   Could be a scam.   It is very puzzling to try and figure out how someone could "accidentally" file that they lived in a state that they actually moved from two years earlier.  How could that happen?   Did you in fact prepare a return for the state of NC for 2020 or 2021 and e-file or mail it?   Do you have a copy of it?  Did an employer withhold NC tax from your wages for 2020 or 2021?   What address did you use on your federal tax return for 2020 and/or 2021?   What state did you move to when you left NC?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You owe state income tax to the state where your permanent home is located, even if you are temporarily living someplace else.  This is called "domicile" and is determined by a combination of all the facts and circumstances of your life.  This is a reasonably good article.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/state-residency-for-tax-purposes

If you permanently move out of a state in the middle of a year, so that you are domiciled in two different states for different parts of the year, you file as a part-year resident in each state. 

If you filed a NC return for 2019 and 2021, but not 2020, NC may assume that you were a resident of NC for 2020 and forgot to file.  This does not make you owe income tax for 2020, but it means you need to explain the situation.  Write them a letter, explain your situation, and include any copies of proof that you moved out of NC in 2019 and did not move back.  Proof could include a copy of your lease in your new home, copies of utility bills showing your home address where you live, or other proof that your permanent home is not in NC.

Unfortunately, it is too late to file an amended 2020 return showing that you did not live in NC, owed no NC tax, and should get a refund of the tax you mistakenly paid.  

TomD8
Level 15

A letter or tax bill from NC will contain instructions as to what you should do if you disagree with the letter's findings.  Your first step should be to call the number on the letter and explain what happened.  They will tell you if there's anything else you need to do.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies