turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started my state return as a part year resident but realized I need to file as a resident. Why is the software asking me part year resident questions still?

I have to file two state returns, as a resident of CT but having made money from MA-based jobs. I started filling out my CT return as a part year resident, but since have realized I need to fill out a resident state return and have done everything I can to indicate that in the software. However, when reviewing my return for errors, the software is bringing up questions from the CT Nonresident/Part Year form. How can I avoid this and simply fill out a clean CT Resident return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

I started my state return as a part year resident but realized I need to file as a resident. Why is the software asking me part year resident questions still?

Assuming you lived in CT all year, go back to the Personal Info section of TT and enter CT as your State of Residence, and indicate that you had Other State Income from MA.  Answer No to the question about having lived in another state.

If that's your situation, you should be filing as a non-resident of MA and a resident of CT.  Be sure to complete the non-resident return before you do your home state return, so that TT can calculate the appropriate credits..

A "part-year resident" is someone who has made a permanent move from one state to another during the tax year.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies