turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Washington work in Oregon but worked from home 2020. How do I get the taxes I paid to Oregon

How do I get taxes paid to Oregon while I worked in Washington
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I live in Washington work in Oregon but worked from home 2020. How do I get the taxes I paid to Oregon

You still have to file an OR non resident return to get a refund.

Your W-2 most likely  shows (or will show)  OR in box 15 and an erroneous amount in box 16 as wages earned in OR. 

I'm not familiar with the TurboTax (TT) OR interview.  One of two things is probable: 1. you will be asked to allocate your income by state, in the interview.  From your own records, enter the amount actually  earned in each state.

2. You may have to use a work around. 

At the w-2 screen (in the federal section) split the boxes 15-20 W-2 info into 2 lines. On the 1st line leave OR in box 15 but change box 16 blank to the amount actually earned there; leave the OR withholding in box 17. On the 2nd line put WA in box 15 and the wage amount earned in WA  in box 16; leave box 17 blank..

TomD8
Level 15

If you change your W-2 information on your state return, it's likely to trigger a red flag.  That's because the changed information on your return will not match up with the information on the W-2 copy that the state receives from your employer. Therefore you may want to print your OR return and mail it,  attaching a note explaining the changes.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies