Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

air2dmw
Returning Member

I am full time resident of KY and sold land in GA. It appears that I am paying capital gains tax in Kentucky and Georgia. Why I don't I see a credit on KY tax return?

I haven't lived in GA in the past 30 years but did own land which we sold in 2023.  I also paid income tax on the sale of land to Georgia via Form G2-RP and I don't see a credit for that on KY return.  GA requires copy of G2-RP which I uploaded but do not see a copy of the form I uploaded in TurboTax.  How do know the Form will be sent to Georgia when I e-file my return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I am full time resident of KY and sold land in GA. It appears that I am paying capital gains tax in Kentucky and Georgia. Why I don't I see a credit on KY tax return?

Why I don't I see a credit on KY tax return?  When you walked through the KY return, did you answer the question regarding credits or taxes paid to other states?  This question is a couple of questions after it asks about your family.  Answer yes to this question and you will be able to enter the amount of tax you paid to GA.  (Make sure you do your GA return FIRST so you know EXACTLY how much tax liability you have for GA)

Also, please not, you will not get a credit for more than the tax that you would owe on that income.  So, if you sold the property for $50,000 and GA taxed you $5,000, but KY would only tax that $50,000 at $2,500, your credit would only be $2,500.  KY will not refund you what you paid to GA or any state that has a higher tax rate than they do.  

I also paid income tax on the sale of land to Georgia via Form G2-RP and I don't see a credit for that on KY return.  You do not get a credit for what you paid.   You will only get a credit for the tax liability that you have on the tax form when you file the GA return which must be done BEFORE you do KY. 

How do know the Form will be sent to Georgia when I e-file my return? If TurboTax allowed you to upload the form, then you can be sure that the form will be sent with it.  If a form is unable to be sent, you will be notified in the instructions that you need to mail it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
air2dmw
Returning Member

Sure would have eliminated a lot of confusion if TurboTax Premier recognized there were 2 states downloaded and the user was directed to fill out the correct state that needs to be used first.  

please ask TurboTax to make the program more user friendly with correct directions to input data. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies