turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pentax
Returning Member

How do I delete a sale of real estate of a second home from one state return and move it to another state return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

How do I delete a sale of real estate of a second home from one state return and move it to another state return

You can't. The sale must be reported in both states.

Your residence state taxes ALL your income, even the sale of property in another state.

The state the property is located in taxes the capital gain (profit) on the sale because you have income "sourced" in that state.  Yor residence state will give you a credit or partial credit for the tax you paid to the other state.

pentax
Returning Member

YES. THANKS SO MUCH

pentax
Returning Member

YES. THANKS SO MUCH.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I am not sure which two states we are talking about but there is are usually sections in your state returns where you can allocate income items and separate between the two states. if you can elaborate with more details, especially the two states involved, we can be more specific in assisting you with the allocation information..  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies