Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form 8582 for Virginia filing

Sounds good so far. Hope you will get this resolved. Thanks!

Well, interesting.  After nearly two hours on the phone with some type of support who couldn't fix it was transferred to some higher level tech support.   I was told that this is a known issue.   The form actually isn't available, and that they are working on the issue.   Could not give any info about when it will be resolved.   So, I guess check back in a week and see if the software updates.

TT seems to be all over as to the root cause of this...the Fed form 8582 is finalized, my Md return (which has the passive activity) can be filed, but Va is not able to file...does not inspire much confidence in their software delivery process....

Anonymous
Not applicable

People from Maryland were complaining about this issue for weeks. TT folks were actively responding to complaints from Maryland. I agree with you that TT working does not inspire confidence. It looks like TT has not made the global changes in its software wrt this issue. Is Maryland form 8582 different than federal 8582? 

8582 is an IRS form - States use the numbers from the fed form in various ways to calculate state deductions for passive activities.  Per the IRS website, their form was finalized on 18 Jan 2022.  My Md return was until last week also blocked from filing for the same reason,  but an update fixed the problem and I can now file with IRS and Md.  Totally inexplicable that TT would fix one state but not the rest, or even communicate to their customers an acknowledgement of the problem and a mitigation/fix plan. 

dahadster

Same issue for me.  I had trouble last year and this year installing the program (you cannot have a different font size than 100% on windows) and now this?   Its obvious their software is junk and the support/knowledge of the people that work there is garbage too.   My fear is the form is there but the software isn't updating correctly.   I will be looking for different software next year.

mathsal

you say l  have the forms but they are not being updated in my Turbo tax software

I am having the same issue ... 

Virginia Individual Form Availability on the internet site has shown it is available for the past week.

(originally the site said it would be available Feb 17th ... so that has now changed to show available)

But when I start Turbo Tax it says there are no forms to update.

Will check on the 24th per one of the other replies.

It seems it is always wait and try again next week.

What gives?????

Has anyone tried reinstalling the state?

I was thinking of just printing the return with the bad form.

I want to file my Federal 

I re-installed TT; no luck resolving the problem. I still can not file.

On 2/24/2022 10:30am, when I retried, I was prompted to download latest software, which was released 2/23/2022.  The issue is still there after I installed the latest version.  However, this time, the screen indicates that the form will be available: 3/3/2022.  Unfortunately, will need to wait and retry on 3/3/2022.

Same situation for me - the latest update now has the Va form as showing ready to file on 3 March.  

Watching the can get kicked down the road.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto for me. The software was updated today but the action on form 8582 has been delayed till 3/3. Hoping it will not get delayed further. TT has been a disappointment this year.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Thank you for sharing this information. Our team is working to resolve the error message for Form 8582 Passive Activity Loss Limitations during Review of state returns and expects to have this updated by March 3rd. Please try your return in Review on or after March 4th.

• If you have the desktop version of TurboTax, please be sure it updates when you launch the program.
  • If you have TurboTax Online and it still gives this error message, please sign out of TurboTax, clear your cache and cookies, or try another browser, then sign back in and take it through Review. Please see this Help article for directions to clear your cache and cookies. Clearing cache and cookies in your browser 

If the federal forms are all finalized and it is ready to e-file, you can choose to file just the federal return at this time, then come back when your state forms are ready and e-file that return.

1. When you get to the Here are your filing options screen
  2. Select Change next to your state return
  3. On the Change filing method screen
  4. Select I'm not ready to file
  5. Click Save 

Note, if you don't e-file them together, you do have to wait until the federal is accepted before you can e-file the state. Sometimes this takes a day or even two. Here is a TurboTax Help article with directions for when you return to file your state return.

File State after the Federal is Filed

This list of state form availability will be updated. Please select the type of TurboTax you are using and your state, to see when forms are expected. State Tax Forms Availability Dates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the update.

So I tired to file my Fed and Md returns while skipping the Va for now per the above advice that  Va still needs to update.  However, despite the Md return as showing ready to file in the State tab, when I got to the final screen to submit, the Md return was also showing that the Form 8582 was not ready to file.  I was able to go back and file just the Fed, but in my case, the Md software is, like the Va, not ready for filing.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies