turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i qualify for the renters credit in Hawaii

Do I qualify for the star of Hawaii renters credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Kadian

In order to claim the Credit for Low-Income Household Renters in Hawaii you must meet the following criteria:

1. Be a resident of Hawaii.

2. Not claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

3. Have between $0 - $30,000 in adjusted gross income.

4. Paid more than $1,000 in rent during the year.  (This is an annual amount not a monthly amount.)

5. The rental property cannot be exempt from real property tax.  (This is something your landlord will be able to verify for you.)

Important note about rent:  Rent is the amount paid in cash during the year.  Rent does not include charges for utilities, parking, storage, yard services, etc.  Rent paid for land only does not count either.  Lastly you cannot count rent that is paid through an allowance or a subsidy.

For more information or further explanation please see "Instructions for Schedule X - Tax Credits" pages 33 and 34 of the instructions for Form N-11: http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/forms/2016/n11ins.pdf

CF9188

change the "2016" in the link to "2019" for recent N-11 info.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@CR9188

Thank you, CR.

The tax year 2019 requirements, per Line 29, Credit for Low-Income Household Renters in the 2019 N-11, Hawaii Resident Income Tax Instructions, are:

If you occupy and pay rent for real property within the State as your residence, your Hawaii adjusted gross income was less than $30,000, and the rent you paid during 2019 was more than $1,000, you may qualify for this credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jaysen

Does this credit apply if I am at a retirement community (with no buy-in) and am paying monthly rent which also covers meals? I do meet the criteria of residency and gross income of less than $30K.

Thank you!

wrraboin

It's on the N-15, so can I claim it if I'm a part-year resident (moved to HI July 1)?   Also, it is based on my Federal AG, or my HI source income for the year.  I had around $40,000 in pension for the whole year, so it was only $20,000 for the 6 months I was a (part-year) resident in HI.

aninja750

Why are you all worried about the rent credit. Its only $50 when Hawaii rent averages $3000 to $5000 a month. Its a joke. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies