my3children1979

Can you help me with my school taxes? I worked in Butler, Indiana in the beginning of the year but I was a full time resident of Ohio.

JotikaT2

You should only have to file an Ohio state return as Ohio and Indiana have a reciprocity agreement.

As long as your wages do not have Indiana withholdings, you will just file your Ohio return.

I have attached a link to help you determine which code to use for the School District Income Tax in Ohio for your Ohio income tax return.

Ohio tax finder link

Hal_Al

To verify or find out if you live in an Ohio school district (or city) with an income tax enter your address at:

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/Individual/LocalTaxInformation.aspx

TurboTax (TT) does not automatically prepare a School District return, you must initiate it.

At the screen, in the Ohio program, titled  "A few things before we wrap up your state taxes"
      scroll down to School District taxes. 
Or later at the screen  "Your 2019 Ohio Taxes are ready for us to check"
    -Click Other situations
    -Scroll down to School District taxes.

______________________________________________________________________________

Different Topic: 

Ohio has a reciprocal agreement, on wages,  with all neighboring states. No state taxes are withheld or due and you do not normally need to file a return for the other state (MI, PA, KY, WV, IN). But OH will tax you on your IN income, and so will your School District (or city).

If other state taxes are mistakenly withheld, you then have to file a return, for IN, to get a refund. OH will not give you a credit. You should ask your employer to stop withholding so you don't have to file an IN return every year.

However the reciprocity agreement does not apply to local city or county  taxes.  You can not get those refunded. But if you live in an Ohio city with a tax, they may give you a credit or partial credit for any IN county tax you had withheld. Many do.  You need to check with your city.  Ohio School Districts do NOT give any credits for taxes paid to other counties, cities or school districts.