Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California secretary of state file number (SOS)

What is my California SOS file number (12 digits)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

You can look up our CA S.O.S. Number by going here: https://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/cbs-search-tips/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What is my secretary of state number

What is the California Secretary of State file number

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

You can use the following link to search for your Secretary of State file number.

CA Secretary of State

I just called the FTB in California, and the deal is that the first year, if you don't have a Secretary of State number, you just file BY MAIL using your FEIN number. Turbotax software requires that the number start with a 19 or 20 (as Secretary of State numbers start with a 19 or 20), but your FEIN will not start with a 19 or 20. Thus Turbotax thinks its wrong and will make you mail in your return (instead of e-file).  It sucks you have to mail it in but that is the answer!

However, this is the workaround to go ahead and file your taxes without a Secretary of State number. Several phone calls later with the FTB Board and government tax office and that is the answer! Whew!

There is an error in TurboTax software with the California SOS file numbers. Contrary to TurboTax software, corporations in Cal have a 7 digit entity number issued when the corporation is registered with SOS and it starts with letter C. Those numbers can be looked up on the SOS's business search athttps://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/

LLCs do have a 12-digit numbers issued by SOS and they start with a year in which the LLC was formed. So if your LLC was formed in 2017, like mine was, the number will start with 2017.... 

On the other hand, my corporation SOS number starts with C and then has a 7-digit number following letter C. When I tried to file my taxes with TurboTax for Corporations, the software did not allow me to enter my corporate number and continued to request a 12-digit number starting with 19 or 20, WHICH MAKES NO SENSE. It also did not allow me to override the TurboTax's settings. I refused to file by Mail, I purchased TurboTax specifically so that I could e-file. So I had to call customer support and spend about an hour of my time trying to resolve the issue. The person on the phone finally agreed that I was right but he was unable to resolve my issue with the filing. Eventually, I solved the issue myself by entering all zeros instead of any number, and the e-filing was allowed to proceed. I hope that TurboTax will fix this issue immediately. It is an egregious mistake that cost the filers much time unnecessarily. 

I even started doubting myself for a minute, and I called the Cal. SOS office. They confirmed that corporations in CA have 7-digits numbers ONLY, and LLCs have 12-digit numbers. 

Echoing @IMPERIUMLAW ; I'm the filer for a California General Partnership. TurboTax expects the Secretary of State Filing Number to match the rules for LLCs - must start with 19 or 20.  I'm not filing for an LLC. My partnership's filing number is 12 digits, not starting with 19 or 20.

The workaround of entering all 0's allows electronic filing but would only create confusion at the FTB that I don't need to rebound to me.

I ended up filing by mail; so 1980s.

It's so strange that they still didn't fix it, this software had so many glitches.

So my problem is I am part of a general partnership not LLC and don’t need the LCC form but turbo tax doesn’t recognize that. I assume it’s pulling the information from Fed K-1. Any work around 

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

The CA partnership software is a separate download from the CA LLC software.  Have  you downloaded both of them or just one?

You are in the CA section to file a CA 568 instead of a CA 565.  You  may need to delete the CA 568 and K-1 and re-enter it on the CA 565.

Double check in the federal return that you entered the k-1 as a partnership instead of a LLC.  If you did, then please update this question to that effect.

This is so incredibly frustrating. A simple fix, and here we are two years from the original post/report and it has not been fixed. 

TurboTax for Business, 2020 still has two incorrect checks that block e-filing.

1. "Secretary of State file number must contain at least 12 digits"

2. "Secretary of State file number must begin with the digits 19 or 20"

Both are wrong. California gives corporations seven digit file numbers. Maybe not all corporations are given seven digit numbers, but many of them are. And they don't begin with 19 or 20.

moomsi

extremely frustrating.  I am trying to file an s-corp return and I have a 12 digit SOS file number that does start with a 20, but it's requiring me to enter a CA Corporation number because it's an s-corp, even though I don't have one because it's an LLC that files for taxation as an s corp

makes no sense that you can't override this in turbo tax.  this must be fixed next year

I have a 12-digit Secretary of State filing number for my General Partnership that starts with '30' so…

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

California Secretary of State File Numbers are assigned to all entities in the state of California by the Secretary of State. The business will either have a seven-digit corporation number or a 12 digit file number. You can call the office of the Secretary of State to see which one they have if they don't have their original application form. 

@dvcoviello

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies