turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jongen

CA Resident: Opportunity to work remotely from WA until the end of the year. Should I change residency?

Hi,

I have been a tax-paying resident of California for years. Starting in March 2020, due to COVID-19, my employer asked us to work remotely. I have been in Washington State with my partner ever since. It is likely that I will work remotely until the end of the year or even 2021.

Question:

1. Is it in my interest to change residency? WA does not have income tax, but CA does.

1. Since we are already almost in June, am I too late? Or can I declare that I was in WA since March?

2. My employer would still be based in CA. Would that work?

2. Do I actually have the obligation to change residency (drivers license, license plate, voter registration, etc.) if I am only planning to be in WA temporarily? If there is no tax benefit, I do not want to make my tax filing situation more complex. I can easily keep a postal address in CA to receive mail until I am back in 2021.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

CA Resident: Opportunity to work remotely from WA until the end of the year. Should I change residency?

Your state of residency for tax purposes is determined by tax law.  California's rules for determining residency are complicated, and are detailed in this reference:  https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2019/2019-1031-publication.pdf

I suggest you read pages 4-6 to determine if CA is going to consider you a resident (for tax purposes) for all or part of 2020.

Your income - regardless of where earned - is taxable by CA for any period of time for which CA considers you a CA resident.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies