Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bailey Settlement When Buying Military Time Into Civil Service Time

I started working as a federal employee (FERS) in Nov 1987. I also had with 4 years of active military duty (1976-1980). I was able to buy in those four military years towards my FERS retirement. As a result my civil service retirement computation date was changed  Nov 1983. 

Under these circumstances, does  my federal retirement income qualify for the "Bailey Exemption" on the NC State tax return since buying my military time gives me more than 5 years of creditable service prior to 12 August 1989?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, as long as you had 5 years of service credited before August 12, of 1989, then you would qualify for the Bailey Exemption.

Source:

According to the North Carolina Department of Revenue,  The exclusion applies to retirement benefits received from certain defined benefit plans, such as the North Carolina Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System, the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System, the North Carolina Consolidated Judicial Retirement System, the Federal Employees' Retirement System, or the United States Civil Service Retirement System, if the retiree had five or more years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, as long as you had 5 years of service credited before August 12, of 1989, then you would qualify for the Bailey Exemption.

Source:

According to the North Carolina Department of Revenue,  The exclusion applies to retirement benefits received from certain defined benefit plans, such as the North Carolina Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System, the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System, the North Carolina Consolidated Judicial Retirement System, the Federal Employees' Retirement System, or the United States Civil Service Retirement System, if the retiree had five or more years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies