Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vanderlt

According to the Iowa-Illinois reciprocal agreement, I should only have to pay Iowa tax, even though I did work in Illinois. Were is Illinois form IL-W-5-NR?

My wife was self-employed in Illinois, but is a resident of Iowa.  ?Why do I owe Illinois taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

According to the Iowa-Illinois reciprocal agreement, I should only have to pay Iowa tax, even though I did work in Illinois. Were is Illinois form IL-W-5-NR?

you don't. as to your wife's income you only pay taxes on it in Iowa. there is no IL-W-5-NR in the Illinois state return. that is a form you either get online - see link -  or her employer. 

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/forms/withholding/Documents/currentyear/il-w-5-nr.pdf 

if Illinois taxes were withheld you'll have to file in Illinois to get them back.

you need to file form IL-1040 and schedule NR which is not yet available as of 2-1-2021.

you may need to override line 5 on form NR which will require you to mail in the Illinois return. 

per prior year NR instructions

schedule NR Line 5: Wages, salaries, tips, etc.
Enter the amount shown as Illinois wages on the Illinois copy of the
W-2 forms you received while you were a nonresident.
Do not include any Illinois wages you received while
you were a resident of Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, or Wisconsin.

TomD8
Level 15

The Illinois-Iowa reciprocal agreement applies only to W2 wages and salaries.  It does not apply to self-employed income.

https://tax.iowa.gov/iowa-illinois-reciprocal-agreement#:~:text=Iowa%20and%20Illinois%20have%20a,Iow....

If your wife had self-employed income in Illinois, it is taxable by Illinois, as well as by her home state of Iowa.  She'll be able to take a credit on her IA return for taxes paid to IL on the income taxed by both states, so she won't be double-taxed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies