Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxoturb1

Question About Residency Rules For State Tax

I live in Connecticut and I’m fully retired, but a couple of years away from collecting Social Security.  My entire income right now is a small pension and withdrawals from my IRA and Roth IRA.  I have a pretty large balance in my 401k which I haven’t touched yet.  I want to reduce my potential state income tax while I transfer my 401k money into my Roth IRA, in small enough increments to stay within the Federal 22% bracket. 

I’m moving to Florida this coming December 1st, and that will be my domicile, and believe me, I will never live in Connecticut again, even though it’s very nice and I really like it there.  I own a condo there though, and I would like to become a snowbird, spending the winter months in Florida, and the warm months in CT.  Starting next year am I correct that as long as I spend less than 183 days in Connecticut, and my entire income is pension, Social Security, and IRA/401k withdrawals that I would not owe any CT income tax and in fact I would not even have to file a CT tax return?  I’m not talking about any trickery here; I would be in Florida 7 months of the year, and no more than 5 in Connecticut. I would change my license, car registration, and voter registration to Florida.  I would intend to make Florida my permanent home.

I would love to hear a definitive answer here if I understand these residency rules correctly.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You are correct.

If you spend less than 183 days in Connecticut, you are considered a non-resident. Therefore, your pension income, IRA withdrawals, etc, would not be subject to CT income tax. 

Source: http://askdrs.ct.gov/Scripts/drsrightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=584&p_topview=1

Enjoy your retirement in Florida!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You are correct.

If you spend less than 183 days in Connecticut, you are considered a non-resident. Therefore, your pension income, IRA withdrawals, etc, would not be subject to CT income tax. 

Source: http://askdrs.ct.gov/Scripts/drsrightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=584&p_topview=1

Enjoy your retirement in Florida!

taxoturb1

Thank you for the confirmation and the citation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies