Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jsmmao

PY Resident State Return Issue

I have completed my federal and working on my state return. I moved from NC to FL in May ‘23 but was still paying state taxes until October ‘23. When I make the adjustments for PY resident tax it calculates my return correctly but as I go to file it resets back to what my w2 is showing for NC state income. How do I fix this to make sure I get the proper refund.

thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Verify that you went in and marked that you are a part year resident. Enter the dates of residency. Continue past income summary and into the part year income. You may need to select PY NC source income and continue. Enter the NC wages. This should get the program to hold the information.

If the program again refuses to hold the information, you may have a piece of data stuck.

Follow these steps:

Desktop version: 

1. Delete the w2 form
  2. Save your return while closing the program.
  3. Update the program
  4. Open
  5. Enter the information again.

Online version:

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form/ worksheet/ the w2 and related forms, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.
    • Enter the information again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jsmmao

Thank you for your reply. I tried everything you mentioned and it still won’t allow me. I did confirm I have part year resident set up in the Personal Info tab on the desktop version. I also deleted the w2 and re-entered everything. It allows me to do everything like pictured for the NC state return, calculates the return correctly and when I go  to electronically transmit  (after the error check), it resets back to the whole (non part year) amount. Any other way to push this through? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Let's go another route, the federal and state already have your w2. Go into the program and change the PA state income to be only the amount earned while living there. You have proof of when you moved so when they send you a letter, you can show them how and why you prorated the amount. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies