Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Property taxes paid not flowing from Federal to State of California return

I've entered my property taxes paid in the Federal return section. When I go to State of CA there is no place to enter property taxes paid for my primary residence manually, or access the entry. However, when I view the summary of my CA state taxes only the SALT capped number from federal flows through to State of CA return.

I found a post from someone with the same issue but the response was not addressing this issue and I can't find any other reference of this issue:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/for-my-california-return-propert...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Property taxes paid not flowing from Federal to State of California return

Federal law limits your state and local tax (SALT) deduction to $10,000 if single or married filing jointly, and $5,000 if married filing separately. California does not allow a deduction of state and local income taxes on your state return.

California does allow deductions for your real estate tax and vehicle license fees, and does not limit them to $10,000.

When you enter all of your deductible state and local taxes in the Federal section, TurboTax will limit the Federal deduction to $10,000 ($5,000 for MFS). When you complete the California return, TurboTax will adjust the taxes as needed. The property taxes will not be limited, and the income taxes will be eliminated. You can see the adjustments on California Schedule CA, where all of the California and Federal differences are reconciled, under Part II, Itemized Deductions, Taxes You Paid, Lines 5 through 7.

If you are using the Desktop version of TurboTax, switch to Forms mode and look at Schedule CA.

If you are using the Online version, to view or print an individual worksheet from your return, before you file but after you pay for your product, you can go to Tax Tools, then Print Center. Choose to print all forms and worksheets, and save to PDF. You can then open the PDF and choose what worksheet to print. Or, you can use your device's Print Screen function.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies