reinashay

Premium tax credit partial year

I qualified for the premium tax credit for part of the year and then got a job with health insurance benefits. Turbotax says I owe for excess PTC, but I think it might be wrong because it never asked me about the months I had the PTC.
SDBaldie

Premium tax credit partial year

Hi - unfortunately, the credit works in a way that it doesn't give you partial credit for the months that you had the marketplace plan. It looks at your income for the full year, compares it to what you estimated you would make when you signed up for the plan, and makes the determination on whether you qualify for PTC based on that. The thinking is that if you made enough money in the year, you didn't need help to pay for health insurance, and so have to pay back some or all of the subsidy. Probably not the answer you were looking for, sorry. Hope this clarifies. 

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing