Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Payroll Company Mistake



I work in the film industry, and recently worked on a movie shooting in Cleveland, OH. Though the movie was shooting in Cleveland, I worked out of Pittsburgh, PA, remotely. I noticed on a few of my paychecks, that our accounting department had entered the wrong PSD code, and I had Ohio City Tax and the Philadelphia City Tax taken out of my pay. When I caught this mistake, and brought it to their attention, they mentioned that I would likely need to fix this come Tax time. 


What should I do now to make this easier come tax time? As I am not, nor have I ever, lived in Ohio or Philadelphia, should I have my payroll company write a letter stating that it was an error on their end? Would that proof help when disputing having to file an Ohio/Philly tax return? 


I'm trying to avoid any complications during my taxes. I'd like to not have the state of OH or the city of Philadelphia reaching out to me for the next five years, assuming that I live in their city and need to file a tax return with them. 


My taxes are usually pretty simple, and I'd like to keep them that way! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 


Thank you! 

2 Replies
Level 15

Payroll Company Mistake

You'll find Philadelphia's forms and procedure for requesting a refund here:


You'll find Cleveland's city tax refund application form here: 


A letter from your payroll company could be helpful in both cases.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Level 15

Payroll Company Mistake

The Central Collection Agency (CCA) administers the City of Cleveland Income tax.  They have a special form for refunds of improper withholding.


Your employer must also sign the form.  The Payroll company can sign as employer.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings