Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MBrooks12

Part Year Resident New Hampshire & Massachusetts

I moved from Massachusetts to New Hampshire, lived in New Hampshire for 6 months, then moved back to Massachusetts, working in Massachusetts the entire time. I was told that I do not need to do anything "extra" because NH doesn't collect income tax.  MA website says 'You are a part year resident if you moved in or out of MA during the taxable year. You must reduce certain income, deductions and exemptions based on the number of days you were a resident or on the amount of your income that is subject to MA tax. Part year residents must file a MA form 1-NR/PY.' Can I please have some help clarifying? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Part Year Resident New Hampshire & Massachusetts

Since NH does not have any state income tax, you are correct, you do not need to do anything with NH.  Also, since you worked in MA all year, ALL of your income would be taxable to MA first before NH (if NH had a state income tax)

As for filing MA, yes, you will need to file the MA Part year return.  As you walk through your MA  Part year return, TurboTax will ask you about the days you lived in MA vs NH and also how much of your income is associated with MA.  Since all of your income came from MA, you may still qualify for some credits in their entirety, while others may be reduced. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies