Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PA Tax

Hello,

I received a 1099-INT from the IRS. The IRS paid me interest for an overpayment of only $36. They said it needed to be on my 2023 taxes, so I e-filed the amended federal tax, and the form and income were correct. There was no change in my tax liability to pay. 

My issue is with the state. I have to mail in my PA taxes to the state. I have not mailed the original taxes yet.

So do I need to mail the original, the amended PA-40 X, or both to the state? 

The adjustment is $36, and there is no money owed in PA taxes. If they look at my federal, they will see the discrepancy. Not sure if it is an issue? Just need to know how to proceed.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

PA Tax

If you haven't yet filed your state return, then you don't amend. 

You just correct your state return by adding the IRS interest, then mail the corrected state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

PA Tax

How do I do that? The Turbo Tax made me amend with the federal. 

Is there a way to go in and change the PA without amending it using the PA 40 X form? However, I already amended the state when I did federal.

If there is a way to go in and change the original, please advise?

That would be great!

Thanks!

j

PA Tax

How do I do that? The Turbo Tax made me amend with the federal. 

Is there a way to go in and change the PA without amending it using the PA 40 X form? However, I already amended the state when I did federal.

If there is a way to go in and change the original, please advise?

That would be great!

Thanks!

j

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

PA Tax

If you amended the federal, then the state should have updated as well.  You will just need to go back into your PA return and walk back through it.  Then you can reprint your PA return to mail.  This will still be the original return, it is not amended because you haven't sent in your first return. 

PA Tax

How do I do that? I can't seem to go back into the original state. There are no options to do on Turbo Tax.

It amended both.

PA Tax

How do I do that?

I can't seem to go back into the original state. There are no options to do on Turbo Tax.

It amended both.

PA Tax

I tried to do it by adding state, but it keeps coming up as amended and not original. Please advise as I need to get this done.

Thanks!

j

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

PA Tax

Do not add a state. The key is to print the Pennsylvania (PA) return which should include the full PA-40 return and the amendment (PA-40X). Although the PA-40X may print, the PA-40 should also print as though it was the original return with the correct numbers. Once this prints, you can keep the PA-40X or discard it but do not mail it with the PA-40 corrected copy.

Mail to the correct address based on your tax return situation:  Include all W-2s and any other document with state withholding.

Refund: PA DEPT OF REVENUE, REFUND OR CREDIT REQUESTED, 3 REVENUE PLACE, HARRISBURG PA 17129-0003

No refund or payment: PA DEPT OF REVENUE, NO PAYMENT OR NO REFUND, 2 REVENUE PLACE, HARRISBURG PA 17129-0002

Payment: PA DEPT OF REVENUE, PAYMENT ENCLOSED, 1 REVENUE PLACE, HARRISBURG PA 17129-0001

@JK107 

PA Tax

Hello,

I looked and compared the returns, and it did not add it. It is in on the PA 40 X and not the return. But what is strange is that the taxable income on the original is the same as the amended tax. It added the $36 and then subtracted it. So I don't know if that means anything or not?

PA Tax

Is it possible I can just delete and redo the state taxes on turbo tax even if it was amended? Will it create an original state return even though the federal is finished and was amended? Or would it amend state because federal was?

Thanks!

Jason

AmyC
Expert Alumni

PA Tax

If you have not filed the state, you can have an original state return even though the federal has been amended.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies