Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PA resident that works in NJ. Appears company withheld PA taxes (box 15 says PA, Box 17 lists state income tax, boxes 18&19 blank). Which state return(s) do I file?

I live in PA and work in NJ. The company address is NJ. My company withheld state income tax.  How can I tell if it was NJ or PA state income tax?  Box 15 says PA and has my employer's state ID number. Box 16 has state wages. Box 17 has state taxes. Boxes 18 (local wages) & 19 (local income tax) are both empty.  Which state tax forms do I need to file? Do I need to have my company change something for the future? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

PA resident that works in NJ. Appears company withheld PA taxes (box 15 says PA, Box 17 lists state income tax, boxes 18&19 blank). Which state return(s) do I file?

PA & NJ are reciprocal states - they don't tax the wages of each others' residents. So, your NJ employer is properly withholding PA taxes - NJ cannot tax those wages because you are a PA resident. Unless you have income from NJ sources other than wages, you do not have to prepare/file a NJ return.

If that's the case, in Personal Info be sure to indicate that you did not earn money in any other state. If you select Yes there and select New Jersey then you're telling TT that you need to prepare and file a NJ nonresident return - which you don't.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies