Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

J--T
Level 1

Out of state taxes withheld but not working out of state

I started new job within the company (located in LOUISIANA) that I have been at for 20 yrs. The job that I am now assigned to is in Ohio.  I do not physically work in Ohio, I work out of the corp office in Louisiana.  How would I file state taxes and for which state?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Since you do not live or work in Ohio, you do not file an Ohio state income tax return.

All of your income from all sources is reported on your Louisiana state income tax return.

If Ohio state income taxes are being withheld from your wages you need to contact your employer and have them stop the Ohio withholding.  You should only have Louisiana state taxes withheld from your wages.

You will need to file an Ohio nonresident tax return to get a refund of the taxes withheld.  Reporting 0 income received on the Ohio tax return.

TomD8
Level 15

But if you ever have to go to Ohio for work, keep track of the days you work in Ohio.  Ohio won't tax the income you earn by working remotely in Louisiana, but it will tax any income you earn from work you physically perform within Ohio (if any).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies