Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Oregon State Tax - Part Tme Resident

I lived in Oregon, which has state income tax, for less than two full months in 2023 before moving to Florida - which has no state income tax.   Despite moving early in the year, I had Oregon state taxes withheld all year from my Oregon pension payments.  If I have Turbo Tax automatically fill-in my Oregon state income tax form from the Federal Tax Form, the system suggests I will get a full refund of my Oregon state taxes.  And the system says on the screen that the calculations are guaranteed to be 100% accurate and the maximum refund guaranteed.  Because I split time between the two states, can I trust this to be correct?  If not, how do I ensure the calculations are done right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

To clarify the situation, did you indicate in the Personal Info section that you lived in a state prior to moving to Florida and that the state was Oregon?

Did you enter the dates you moved out of Oregon and into Florida?

Did you allocate two months worth of pension to Oregon?

Oregon has a Standard Deduction of 2,605 Singles and 5,210 Married Filling Jointly, so if two months pension is less than those amounts, you would owe no Oregon tax and get all state tax withheld refunded. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick response...

I did indicate in the Personal Info section that you lived in a state prior to moving to Florida and that the state was Oregon.  

I didn't allocate two months worth of Pension on the page that wants you to report part of the income that you received while I was an Oregon resident.  It just shows the full pension amount in the Federal column and zero for the Oregon column.  So I need to put two months worth of Pension that I received in the Oregon column?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  Since you received pension payments in OR you would allocate that portion to OR in the OR box.

Thanks again - one more question - when I finished the Turbotax process for my state return, it calculated my Oregon Tax kicker less than what the Oregon State Revenue Department tax agent told me it would be when I called.   Can I or should I change the kicker amount in TurboTax?  If so, how would I do that?  Or do I go ahead and file.  And will Oregon change the kicker before sending me my Refund?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

No, don't change the amount in TurboTax. 

To calculate the amount of the credit, you multiply your 2022 tax liability before any credits – line 47 on the 2022 Form OR-40P – by 44.28 percent. Taxpayers who claimed a credit for tax paid to another state would need to subtract the credit amount from their liability before calculating the credit.

You can get your kicker amount for 2023 by using the What's My Kicker calculator.

OR.gov

Thanks - I went ahead and submitted the federal and state forms - to ensure I got them in on time.  Turbo Tax calculated the kicker about $2k less than what the state tax agent told me it would be.  Should I go back and amend the form or will the state review and correct?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The state may correct it. If you get your refund without the adjustment, you will want to amend.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies