Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sparksj337
Returning Member

Oregon Return in TurboTax has MULTIPLE BUGS: Kicker & Deductions

Multiple issues/bugs with my TurboTax Oregon State return and with TurboTax Help Line:

Error 1.) I filed my return on time and paid the $1,149 to the State that TurboTax said I owed. 

Cost of Error$1,149

Error 2.) TurboTax erroneously calculated that I did not qualify for the Oregon "Kicker" refund. I actually qualify for a $1,349 Kicker!  this was confirmed in writing by the State of Oregon Dept. of Revenue.  

When I enter my 2022 tax liability in the "Step by step" TurboTax ignores the entry that it should be using to calculate my kicker and says, "It looks like you don't qualify for this tax break."

When I go to "Forms" it calculates it, but leaves the total at the bottom of the Kicker calculation worksheet blank instead of filling in the correct amount.

Cost of Error$1,349

Error 3.) Without giving me an option to choose, the TurboTax Form 40 worksheet defaults to, "Take standard deduction even if less than itemized deductions." This occurred even though I entered the itemized information, was not give the option to choose and NEVER would make such a choice. I can't see that TurboTax made this choice when using the "Step by step" view, so I did not correct it. I only caught the error because I was double-checking everything in both "Step by step" and "Forms" views after finding the first two problems. After un-checking the default box and adding in the Kicker, my taxes went from OWING $1,149 to a $1,190 REFUND; a difference of $2,339 difference.

Cost of Error: $990 [refund missed due to not using deductions]

TOTAL COST OF ERRORS (that I've found): $3,488  [tax erroneously paid plus missed refunds due}  

When I called the TurboTax help line I was put on hold. About every minute it would tell me, "You really matter to us... but for faster service use the online Help Community." Then, it hung up on me without ever connecting me to a person or being able to leave a message. 

I have Intuit TaxAudit Defense insurance; no help from them.

The next steps:

A) Submit a revised State return and try to eventually get my $3,488 back from the State. Based on past experience, "Good luck with that!"  For some reason the State is not in nearly as much a hurry to pay as to bill.

B) Revisit my 2022 TurboTax State return to see if this occurred on that return also.

Thanks TurboTax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
sparksj337
Returning Member

Here is how I had to fix these issues myself, with no help from TurboTax. Hope this helps others!

1.) Correct TurboTax failure to compute Kicker.

Go to Forms View. Select "Oregon Surplus (Kicker) Credit Worksheet." Enter 2022 "Taxpayer(s) prior year tax liability." The Kicker amount will appear on Line 4 of the worksheet. Copy the amount on Line 4. Go Oregon Form 40, Line 38; use Override (Ctrl+D) to manually paste the Kicker amount onto Form 40, Line 38.

2.) Correct TurboTax default to taking Standard deduction.

Go to Forms View. Select Oregon State "Form 40 Worksheet. UNcheck box: "take standard deduction even if less than itemized deductions." Check the Oregon Tax/Refund box at the top of the screen. If it shows an increased refund or decreased tax due, leave it unchecked.

If these actions result in a better Oregon State tax situation, and you already did your taxes, you'll have to submit a revised return.  Before I did these things, TurboTax Premier told me I owed $1,149 in additional taxes. After these corrections, the Oregon owed me $3,488 --- the $1,149 tax I didn't owe but paid, plus a $1,349 Kicker, plus an additional $990 in deductions TurboTax Premier missed due to their hidden default box checked.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

We are sorry about your experience. Your reports will be investigated and handled accordingly. Thank you. 

@sparksj337 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, that is so much better information than I got from Turbotax!  I finally figured out the Medical deduction was missed but didn't check on the Kicker--thanks again.

I found this site while trying to find an address to send the letter I wrote to the "no reply" email--duh.  That email was the ONE and ONLY notice that we might need to amend ourOregon return, telling me that Turbotax is hoping not many will follow through.

To amend your return with TurboTax is free, so there is no incentive for TurboTax to discourage you from amending.

@collfa0 

TurboTax may be protecting their identity by minimizing the number of people who become aware of their colossal errors.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

For instructions on amending your Oregon return for these issues, please click here

@collfa0 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies