sparksj337
Returning Member

Oregon Return in TurboTax has MULTIPLE BUGS: Kicker & Deductions

Multiple issues/bugs with my TurboTax Oregon State return and with TurboTax Help Line:

Error 1.) I filed my return on time and paid the $1,149 to the State that TurboTax said I owed. 

Cost of Error$1,149

Error 2.) TurboTax erroneously calculated that I did not qualify for the Oregon "Kicker" refund. I actually qualify for a $1,349 Kicker!  this was confirmed in writing by the State of Oregon Dept. of Revenue.  

When I enter my 2022 tax liability in the "Step by step" TurboTax ignores the entry that it should be using to calculate my kicker and says, "It looks like you don't qualify for this tax break."

When I go to "Forms" it calculates it, but leaves the total at the bottom of the Kicker calculation worksheet blank instead of filling in the correct amount.

Cost of Error$1,349

Error 3.) Without giving me an option to choose, the TurboTax Form 40 worksheet defaults to, "Take standard deduction even if less than itemized deductions." This occurred even though I entered the itemized information, was not give the option to choose and NEVER would make such a choice. I can't see that TurboTax made this choice when using the "Step by step" view, so I did not correct it. I only caught the error because I was double-checking everything in both "Step by step" and "Forms" views after finding the first two problems. After un-checking the default box and adding in the Kicker, my taxes went from OWING $1,149 to a $1,190 REFUND; a difference of $2,339 difference.

Cost of Error: $990 [refund missed due to not using deductions]

TOTAL COST OF ERRORS (that I've found): $3,488  [tax erroneously paid plus missed refunds due}  

When I called the TurboTax help line I was put on hold. About every minute it would tell me, "You really matter to us... but for faster service use the online Help Community." Then, it hung up on me without ever connecting me to a person or being able to leave a message. 

I have Intuit TaxAudit Defense insurance; no help from them.

The next steps:

A) Submit a revised State return and try to eventually get my $3,488 back from the State. Based on past experience, "Good luck with that!"  For some reason the State is not in nearly as much a hurry to pay as to bill.

B) Revisit my 2022 TurboTax State return to see if this occurred on that return also.

Thanks TurboTax.