Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Oregon Nonresident Income Tax and Passive Loss Tracking Carryover

Hi,

I live in California and am part of real estate LLC investment funds that own properties in Oregon. I have checked the filing requirement  on the site (oregon.gov/dor) as well to see if the funds Oregon sourced income is above the threshold.

Do I need to file a return to track the Oregon losses for potential offsetting any future gains?

I have read through the suggested document OR-publication–17. It seems that I need to file if I have a passive loss from Oregon source income.

I appreciate the input. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct.  If you have passive losses that you wish to claim in future years against Oregon sourced gains, you would need to file a return to track the losses.  You would not be allowed to all the sudden one year add losses from years back.  There needs to be proof which would be the filing of the return showing the loss. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct.  If you have passive losses that you wish to claim in future years against Oregon sourced gains, you would need to file a return to track the losses.  You would not be allowed to all the sudden one year add losses from years back.  There needs to be proof which would be the filing of the return showing the loss. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the response.

Asked Oregon DOR and they wouldn't provide any guidance or confirmation of their own document, which I find odd and different than many other state DOR question email support people. 

I also didn't understand why another response from their questions email support suggested it’s best to file a return even if you do not owe, or have a loss/gain at this time.

Asked for clarification and a reason but haven't heard anything back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies