turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Oregon Kicker not adding to refund?

I am seeing others having this problem too and mine is doing the same thing--I had a total already in for my state return that I will be getting refunded. I filled out the Oregon Kicker info and It says I am eligible for "x" amount but the refund number didn't change at all. Then when I added a carry-over credit from last year-it went right up to the top under the Oregon Kicker eligible number and my refund increased by that number but the Oregon Kicker is not being added in. I don't understand??  The Oregon kicker is not offsetting anything we owe-we were already getting a refund-From what I understand, this kicker is supposed to be added to the state refund total.  Has anyone learned what's happening? 

Is it somehow being entered in the wrong place in Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
oregonkicker
Returning Member

Having the same issue. State refund the same before and after the kicker category completed in Turbo Tax Deluxe.

I am having the same problem. It says that I have X amount on the kicker but it does not show up to be added to my refund. I really would like TurboTax to resolve this issue.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@John1947

@oregonkicker

@resaz

The Kicker is working for me. 

Can any of you see your OR-40 return? Is there an entry on line 34? Did all of you get the message that you got the kicker credit and it was XX?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
oregonkicker
Returning Member

If you used Turbo Tax in 2018, 2019 Turbo Tax auto fills the 2018 state tax into the kicker section before you get to it so the kicker is reflected in the estimate state tax refund at the start of the Oregon refund. I found this out by going back to the kicker section and entering 0 in the 2018 state tax box. This lowered my refund by the exact amount of my kicker. I would assume that if you did not load your 2018 return to your 2019 return or are using the software for the first time and had to manually enter the 2018 Oregon state tax then the kicker would be added to the return when you complete the kicker section.

Thank You for your reply regarding OR kicker problem. It shows the credit on the kicker return worksheet and also on the tax return but it is not included in the refund. I am at a complete loss as to how to proceed.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@John1947

What is the amount on line 29 of OR-40? On line 34? On line 36?

What is the amount on line 37? On line 49?

@John1947  There's a separate TurboTax thread discussing this exact issue.  It's called "How do I get my Oregon Kicker check? It didn't get added to my state return. Did I do something wrong?"  No resolutions have been reached, but tax experts are looking into it. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@j_lettire

@John1947

I have just responded to the other post. Please go take a look (and j_lettire, thanks for your help)...

https://turbotax.response.lithium.com/console/agent/4057671?

Thanks for replying to my question. Yes, I did prepare my 2018 taxes on TurboTax, however, I did not see any kicker for the state of OR for that year. I did not see any mention as to a kicker. Any other thoughts as to this matter?

John

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

i don't think they issued one in 2018 because there was no tax surplus for the previous year. You needed to file your 2019 tax return to get the "kicker" for the 2018 tax year. Please review this link for more information. 

Did you solve this problem? The same thing is happening to me.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@kenziebaker

It turns out that for many posters who think that the kicker is not being added to their return, that it actually was - but at the start of the state interview, not when they answered the kicker questions in the middle of the Oregon interview.

TurboTax does this because if you used TurboTax in 2018, TurboTax already knows the information need to calculate the 2019 kicker. So it does it at the start of the state interview.

What was confusing was that when the taxpayers entered the kicker information in the middle of the Oregon interview, it didn't change the refund, so they reasonably concluded that the kicker was not being added to their Oregon return.

You can prove this to yourself by writing down your Oregon refund, then going in to TurboTax and setting the 2018 state tax to zero. Your Oregon refund should drop by the amount of the kicker (because you just set the amount of the kicker to zero).

If this is what happens, then you now know that the kicker was already in your return.

AND BE SURE to go back into your return and change the 2018 state tax back to what it should be! 

sstatler
Returning Member

I am having the same issue. I had no change in residency and my information for federal imported from 2018 without issue. Since the kicker uses 2018 oregon tax liability it appears it is not importing this at all and there is no ability to add it on the kicker worksheet. We need to be able to enter the information to receive the kicker. I cannot even get the oregon state tax to pull up this as an option to work on nor does it do it either.

sstatler
Returning Member

I can conclude it is missing because there is a worksheet that is blank on the Kicker with no tax liability showing when I did have one. It did not come up in the beginning for me. However I did my son's taxes recently and it did. Since I started mine the beginning of January, I can only conclude there was an update and Turbo Tax needs to provide a means to view/enter the Kicker on our own.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies