turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

j110

As a nonresident of California, is my entire pay "California sourced income" or just when I was physically in California? Company is CA-based company as well.

I am a nonresident of California residing in another state.  My company is California-based, so is my entire pay "California sourced income" or just when I was physically in California? I was only here temporarily for 5 months then worked outside of the state for the rest of the year.  Can I only claim that 5 months income as California-sourced?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

As a nonresident of California, is my entire pay "California sourced income" or just when I was physically in California? Company is CA-based company as well.

Only the income you earned while working in California is considered California Sourced Income.  You would file a California non-resident return and report that amount.  Your resident state, if they have an income tax, will also tax you on that income, but they will also give you a tax credit for the amount of tax you pay to California, so you won't be double taxed on that income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Only the income you earned while working in California is considered California Sourced Income.  You would file a California non-resident return and report that amount.  Your resident state, if they have an income tax, will also tax you on that income, but they will also give you a tax credit for the amount of tax you pay to California, so you won't be double taxed on that income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies