Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jinshil1006
Returning Member

One federal employer ID with two different state IDs or the same state

TurboTax software can not handle a situation where I have W-2 forms for one same federal employer ID but two different empIoyer IDs for the same state.  Due to different positions for the job under the same employer they issue w-2 forms for the same state (PA) with different empolyer ID with different amount for boxes15-17.

The correct entries were made but Turbotax software can not handle this situation since the federal empolyer ID is the same and for the same state it recognize as duplicate form and keep asking to correct the W-2 entry.

The only way to bypass is to combine two state w-2's using only one state employer ID and e-file federal tax.  Then, comeback and fill out correct entry to w-2 (with two different entries for  boxes 15-17) on federal and print out the PA state tax file and mail with two state W-2 forms attached.

If I e-file state file, later I get mail from the PA state to mail w-2 forms so I can't avoid mailing the form anyway.

Please modify Turbotax software so it can handle one federal employer ID with two separate state employer IDs for the same state (ie.two different entries for boxes 15-17 can be made for the same state under one federal employer ID).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

One federal employer ID with two different state IDs or the same state

They issued you two separate W2's? I would ask them to correct the W2 they provided.

They can combine this all on to one W2 like this (of course the whole W2 would be filled in). See boxes 1, 15, 16.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies