Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NY return: full-time NYC college student lives in dorm, does this count as residency? what about for "maintaining living quarters"?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

NY return: full-time NYC college student lives in dorm, does this count as residency? what about for "maintaining living quarters"?

Assuming your permanent residence is in another state, you do not become a NY resident by going to college in NY and living in a dorm.  

But be aware that NY can tax a non-resident on any income from a job located in NY.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Assuming your permanent residence is in another state, you do not become a NY resident by going to college in NY and living in a dorm.  

But be aware that NY can tax a non-resident on any income from a job located in NY.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
paulgomm

permanent residence is in Nassau county, NY
TomD8
Level 15

In that case you are a full-year NY resident for tax purposes.
paulgomm

Thanks!
Suzanne 4

How do I answer the question

“did you maintain living quarters in New York“

On my daughter’s return who is a full time student and lived in a dorm for part of the year and an apartment the other part? 

TomD8
Level 15

@Suzanne 4 -- See page 2 of this reference for NY's residency rules regarding undergraduate students:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/income/m09_15i.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies