turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EB400
Returning Member

NY FORM IT-182

Turbo Tax says I need a NY form IT-182 but is not supplying  it with the PAID NY return software I purchased. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

NY FORM IT-182

Yes, TurboTax allows Form IT-182 to be e-filed. To resolve the issue, start by checking your input in the federal interview.

You may need to edit the details. If this is for a rental property, from the rental summary, get to the property profile to update. You will need to click the radial button that there are losses from a prior year when asked if any particular situations apply to the property.

You can confirm here that IT-182 is included:

TurboTax Online New York Forms Availability

TurboTax Desktop New York Forms Availability

For the Passive Activity Rules, see the following resources:

2019 Publication 925 Passive Activity and At-Risk Rules

2019 Form 8582 Passive Activity Lo Limitations Instructions

2019 New York Form IT-182 Passive Activity Loss Limitations

@EB400

EB400
Returning Member

NY FORM IT-182

Thanks for reply however I think there may be a "bug" (not the first I have found). 1) Although the list you reference does show that an IT-182 is available, when I try to located on my desk from available forms, it is not shown. 2) Also, I have checked and double checked I do not show any passive losses - The only losses shown on the Fed are carry over from previous years. and last 3) new issue, on the Fed, I have a K1 to enter and my K1 does NOT show any entries in line 17 but Turbo Tax has that box clicked and will not let me uncheck it. 

This is a Trust return I've  done for 15 years and have not had these issues before YUCK!  Any help is appreciated. 

EB400
Returning Member

NY FORM IT-182

Also, it is Rental income on the K1 received but it from a Partnership that owns the property. 

Ed

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

NY FORM IT-182

It depends. In answer to your questions:

1) I recommend re-downloading the state.

2) The passive activity losses the program is looking for are the carryover amounts from the previous years. If these are not connecting to the state return, this is another indicator that re-downloading the state may resolve the issue. Regarding what kind of income it is, from rental income that is owned by a partnership, should not cause an issue. Enter it according to the type of K-1 at the top corner of the form, 1041 or 1065. 

3) Regarding your K-1, by revisiting the original entry, you can un-click Box 17. Be sure you are in the Form 1041 Schedule K-1. If you are still experiencing unexpected results, deleting and re-adding the Form resolves any issues the easiest.

I also would like you to check that your device meets system requirements

@EB400

amarcuvitz
Returning Member

NY FORM IT-182

I have this problem also. TT Business 2019 will not proceed to file the NYS return without attaching the NYS IT-182 form which it is not offering to generate.  Furthermore, no IT-182 is required in this case because the single K-1 in the return does not have any losses.  How do I get TT to file the state return?

EB400
Returning Member

NY FORM IT-182

Never received an answer from TT so I just went ahead, downloaded the NY form from the Web, filled it out, then attached it to the TT filing forms and then submitted on line myself.  NOT the easiest state to deal with (my home state is IL, 2 page form). Fingers Crossed. 

NY FORM IT-182

Hi Kathryn,

May I ask you a quick question on NYS IT-182?

This form should ONLY report NYS-sourced rental income/loss, right?  I noticed my NY & MO rental info from the federal part all get automatically carried to IT-182.   Is there a  easy way to fix this issue?

Thanks! 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

NY FORM IT-182

New York taxes all income earned regardless of where it is earned. They do allow a reduction in your tax based on income earned out of state, but they start with all income earned. So, form IT-182 would include all income earned, not just the income from New York sources.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies