turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jamac13
Returning Member

North Carolina wages allocation for job held in two states

Hello!

My wife and I are filing jointly. We lived in Michigan at the beginning of the year, but moved to North Carolina and established residency on July 1.  Between the two of us, we held 4 different jobs this year. One of them was held only while we had Michigan residency, while two of them were held only with North Carolina residency. The tricky job is the one I held while living in Michigan and worked remotely for one month in North Carolina after establishing North Carolina residency.

I'm trying to figure out how to fill out the state taxes to properly account for this fourth job. The Michigan side was fairly straightforward - I just told them what portion of taxes were paid while living in North Carolina. The North Carolina side is where I'm having trouble. There's a "Wages Allocation" page where each job is listed and labeled with either "Not NC Source Income," "PY NC Source Income," "NR NC Source Income," or "NC Resident Income." 

It seems to me the job held only in Michigan should be labeled "Not NC Source Income" while the two jobs held only in North Carolina should be "PY NC Source Income." How should the job that was worked in both Michigan and remotely in North Carolina be labeled?

As a follow up question, on the North Carolina "Other State or Country Tax Credit" form, there are two fields: "Income Earned in Michigan, and Subject to North Carolina Tax" and "Tax Paid to Michigan." Is the first field only the income earned for the Michigan job in the month I was working remotely in North Carolina? Is the second field the tax paid to Michigan for only this month? Or is this even a credit I qualify for?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
jamac13
Returning Member

Follow up question regarding the Michigan tax form:

Michigan wants me to report the portion of our wages that is reportable to Michigan. The tax forms define this as "salaries and pages received for the period you were a Michigan resident plus any wages earned in Michigan after your residency changed."

For the job based in Michigan that I worked 6 months in Michigan as a resident in Michigan and 1 month in North Carolina as a resident of North Carolina, is the salary from that one month "reportable to Michigan" if I was never physically in the state?

RaifH
Expert Alumni

You are on the right path so far regarding the three easy jobs. For the fourth job, the portion you earned in Michigan is taxable to Michigan and only to Michigan. The portion you earned while in North Carolina is taxable to only North Carolina. You are exactly correct, if you were never physically in Michigan after establishing residency in North Carolina, the income is not sourced to Michigan even if that is where your employer is located.

To report this on the wage allocation in NC, you will want to split the W-2. Report the wages earned in MI or as a MI resident as "Not NC Source Income" and report the amount earned while residing in NC as "PY NC Source Income". The two should add up to the state wages in Box 16 of the W-2. 

You do not qualify for a credit for taxes paid to Michigan. You only get this credit when two states are taxing you on the same income. If you allocate the income correctly from the job you had in Michigan and continued after your move, there will be no overlap of taxation. Michigan will tax you on their portion and North Carolina on theirs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies