Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non-resident state return instructions - overkill?

I work and reside in MA and own rental property in VT.  I've used TTAX to generate my FED, MA resident, and VT non-resident returns.  Since I owe VT a small balance I've decided not to eFile and just print and mail my VT return with a check for the balance. The TTAX  "File by Mail ..." instructions say:

"Attach the state copy of your W-2, Form 1099 etc. to the front of your return.
 Also attach a copy of your federal return.
 Attach a copy of the federal schedule for interest and dividends."

TTAX then has included copies of three VT forms: Form IN-111; Schedule IN-112;  Schedule IN-113. TTAX also includes copies of pages from my FED return – so I assume they’ve covered the last two sentences of the instructions above.   I’ll also attach a copy of my W-2 (though all my earned income came from working in MA).   I’m a bit less clear regarding the “… , Form 1099 etc….” part of the instructions.  All form 1099’s? And what on earth should I make of “etc…”?  Also, do I need to/should I sign the copy of my FED return that’s included?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Non-resident state return instructions - overkill?

If you do not have any 1099's,  you do not need to worry about it.  This message is more of a generic catch all message to send all relavent forms with your VT return.

Basically, if you send everything that printed with VT and then include any forms that you used to enter on your return such as W-2's, you will be covered.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies