Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JoeDeech

Non-resident NY/NJ allocation

Hello,

I am a sole proprietor registered in New Jersey.  I mainly work from home, but did some work at a location in New York City and received a 1099 from that company.  I was told (not by Turbo Tax...) that I needed to fill out a NY State tax form as a non-resident for that income and then do my NJ State tax.  Is this true or do I just report all of my income to NJ?   

If I do not have to report to NY, how could I delete it from my Turbo Tax?

Thank you very much

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Non-resident NY/NJ allocation

Since you worked within New York for some days, you will need to file a nonresident New York tax return and a resident New Jersey return.  New Jersey will give you a credit for any taxes paid on income that is also taxed in New York.  Please see this link for more details.

To make this entry, please see this link for step by step instructions to make your entries in TurboTax.

Please note, you are taxed on any New York source income that is earned while you work within the state of New York as shown in the excerpt below.    Please see this link for the full details of income that is considered as New York sourced income from nonresidents.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies