TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How to enter New York State income as a nonresident in TurboTax

SOLVEDby TurboTax41Updated 1 week ago

If you're a nonresident of New York, but want to enter different allocations for income earned inside or outside New York State, follow these instructions:

Note: If your TurboTax navigation looks different from what’s described here, learn more.

  1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Continue to your return.
  3. Select State Taxes from the menu.
  4. Select Your State Returns from the menu.
  5. Select Continue or Edit next to your New York return.
  6. On the screen, New York Income Allocation, answer No to the question, Were all of your wages and/or self-employment income earned in New York State? 
  7. On the screen, Form W-2 Summary, select Edit next to each W-2 you need to allocate.
  8. On the screen, Allocate Wages to New York, you can choose one of the following allocation methods:
    • 100% New York State income
    • Allocate by number of days
    • Allocate by percentage
    • Don’t allocate this employer
    • Allocate over multiple years
  9. On the Form W-2 Summary screen, select Done.
  10. On the following New York Income Allocation screens, enter the amount of federal income earned from New York sources.
    •  If none, enter 0.
  11. On the New York Nonresident Deductions screen, enter the New York State part of federal deductions. 
    • If none, enter 0
  12. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your return.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads