turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ldupont

My husband and I are MFJ. He lived and worked in CA all 2016. I moved to CA from CO in 6/2016. I didn't work. Do we need to report some of his income as earned in CO?

My husband and I are MFJ.  He lived and worked in CA all of 2016 and I moved to CA from CO in 6/2016.  I did not work in 2016.  Do I need to report some of his income as earned in CO since I lived there for 5 months since we are filing jointly or can I enter 0, since I didn't have any income and he didn't work or live in CO all of 2016?  We sold our house in CO in 5/2016. Would we just be responsible for paying CA state income tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

My husband and I are MFJ. He lived and worked in CA all 2016. I moved to CA from CO in 6/2016. I didn't work. Do we need to report some of his income as earned in CO?

No, you would not report any of his earned income in CO because he did not actually work in the state of CO at anytime. You would report his income on a CA return since that is where he lived and worked.  However, you will have to report the sale of your house on a CO state return and you may be subject to capital gain taxes in CO for the sale of the home. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Patrice

No, you would not report any of his earned income in CO because he did not actually work in the state of CO at anytime. You would report his income on a CA return since that is where he lived and worked.  However, you will have to report the sale of your house on a CO state return and you may be subject to capital gain taxes in CO for the sale of the home. 

ldupont

Wonderful.  Thank you so much.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies