turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dapan

Do I need to file Maryland State Tax if my office was in Maryland but I lived in DC?

My office was in Bethesda, MD. The W-2 I received does not mention Maryland anywhere except for the address of office. Box 15 says DC. Do I need to file Maryland tax too? Turbotax shows it's $0 refund and I have to put the income on DC.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

Do I need to file Maryland State Tax if my office was in Maryland but I lived in DC?

No, you do not need to file a Maryland return if the following is true (from Maryland Dept. of Revenue):

IF YOU ARE A NONRESIDENT, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO FILE A MARYLAND RETURN IF:

• Your Maryland gross income is less than the minimum filing level for your filing status; OR

• You had no income from Maryland sources; OR

• You reside in the District of Columbia, Virginia or West Virginia and had only wages from Maryland. See Instruction 11 for additional information;

Here is the link for the whole document:

https://forms.marylandtaxes.gov/current_forms/Nonresident_booklet.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Cindy0H

No, you do not need to file a Maryland return if the following is true (from Maryland Dept. of Revenue):

IF YOU ARE A NONRESIDENT, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO FILE A MARYLAND RETURN IF:

• Your Maryland gross income is less than the minimum filing level for your filing status; OR

• You had no income from Maryland sources; OR

• You reside in the District of Columbia, Virginia or West Virginia and had only wages from Maryland. See Instruction 11 for additional information;

Here is the link for the whole document:

https://forms.marylandtaxes.gov/current_forms/Nonresident_booklet.pdf

dapan

Hi Cindy, I am slightly confused. I was a non resident, but I have income from DC and NY. I was a part time resident of NY and DC in 2018.
Cindy0H

You do not need to file a MD return, however a NY return will be needed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies