Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No place to enter PAID estimated taxes for Ohio School Districts 2021?

I've searched and seen similar questions as far back as 2016, and the answers say that you "list it in the federal taxes"- However, Turbotax fails to include those estimated taxes in the ohio state filings for schools, and therefore tells me I need to pay when in fact I am supposed to get a refund (SD 100). There is no place in the Ohio turbo tax to enter your SD 100ES estimated taxes, and it does NOT carry over what is listed in the federal line items to the school sales tax, as when listed in the federal line is it not connected to the district rate.

Has anyone found a trick to get the SD100 form correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

To clarify

Are you entering the payments as LOCAL estimated tax payments on the Federal Screen?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes. If on that page you show there you were to fill in like that, end then enter the amount you paid- say $2500, then when you get to the school tax page it does NOT show that $2500 paid, it lists it under "SDR" with no ability to change the school number or tying it to W2 Withholdings. Thats because on the page you screenshot, there's no place to enter the school district ID which turbotax uses to link the federal payments to the ohio taxes.

ie- if I had $1200 withheld for school 1234, and then I paid estimated taxes of $2500, then when I get to ohio it lists the $1200 under 1234, lists the $2500 under SDR, and then says I owe $2600 under 1234, $1200 of which was paid, therefore I owe $1400.

The truth however is that I paid $3700, owe $2600, and therefore I get a state refund of $1100.

To record your estimated school district payments in Ohio, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on Federal on the left-hand side.
  3. Click on Deductions & Credits at the top.
  4. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.
  5. Click Show More.
  6. Click on Estimated Tax Payments.
  7. Click Start next to Local Estimated Taxes for 2021.
  8. On the screen How much did you pay in local estimated taxes? use the drop-down menu to local School District Tax, OH as the locality. 
  9. Enter amounts and dates paid.

I followed these instructions and entered estimated payments made in the School District Tax, OH section and it still did not carry over and is only showing what was paid on my W2's.

Yes, I'm having the same issue.  The estimated payments made on OHIO SD 100ES for the school district tax will not carry over from the federal, and yes when entering them in, it look's identical to your screen.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

TurboTax should carry your Ohio School District tax payment to Form SD 100, line 8 if you followed the steps by Tax Expert KrisD15.

Are you using TurboTax Online or CD/Download?

@brfiesin @shard1 

I followed those directions exactly and it looked identical to her screen shot except the year is 2022 instead of 2021, but nothing carried over.  The only payment present is what was deducted from my paycheck 

I'm using the online version. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Online 2021 is no longer available online unless, in some cases, you are amending your tax return. Is that what you are doing?

PAMFAV

Same for me - once you enter it like this, it takes if off on form sd100

Yes there is! in the Ohio State interview, go past income, past credits & taxes, then the next page will have school district taxes (and also city wage tax); click into the school district taxes, and there is a small ledger where you can enter each district, whether you want it on your TurboTax return, and what you paid. TurboTax will create a OH SD40 for each district listed.

Working on 2023 taxes in online version, and I cannot get my school district withholding applied.  I tried going to the Fed section, where you can enter other withholding, but then in the SD section, it puts the SD code as "SDR" and you cannot change it to your correct SD code.  Otherwise, in the SD section, there is NO PLACE to enter withholding.  So my SD is showing my full SD tax liability as owed, when most of it is covered by my withholdings.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You can make additional entries for Ohio School District Taxes, such as to correct your school district code, in the Ohio return. In the Ohio interview in TurboTax, continue past the income, credits and other taxes section, until you get to the screen "A few things before we wrap up your state taxes". See screenshot below. Select Edit or Revisit next to School District Taxes and complete the screens that follow.

If you entered your school district code in the W-2 section of the Federal return, the Ohio interview will have it and will inform you if anything needs to be revised. The W-2 interview does allow you to enter Ohio school district codes. 

See here for more information from the state of Ohio regarding the school district taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies