turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New York State Printed (not file) instructions are incorrect

The Turbo Tax instructions printed when you have to mail in your form are incorrect. It says DO NOT attach copies of federal forms (s) W2 and 1099R to your tax return. That was not excepted by NY State and those forms are considered "missing" from NY State Department of Taxation and Finance. Even though the W2's and 1099's are generated and put in a NY form - NY seems to want the original forms when mailing in your entire package. This according to a letter I received. So I will reprint, re snail mail and provide the information requested. Please check your instructions that are printed with a mail return to NY (non resident). Also there is no reason this could not be electronically filed and NY wants that but because your software prevents it because of a non qualified distribution where I figured out my tax - that doesn't even effect NY state returns - this is causing this situation. Perhaps you should figure out a way to allow filers to file state electronically without having a Federal return since this is just silly. Just say you can't verify the accuracy and I'll move on but allow me to file electronically (even the state prefers this).  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I don't know what the problem is, but the New York State Instructions for Form IT-201 say, in bold type, "Do not send federal Form W-2 or 1099-R." TurboTax is following the instructions from the state.

Here is a link to those instructions on the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance web site.

Step 11: Finish your return

*accepted 

Yes I did look at their assemble of form instructions and it does say not to send. So I called them today and explained the situation and that I received a letter from them saying the form mailed was not complete and missing the W2 statements even though Turbo tax generated the proper summary and barcoded pages to scan. NY wants the paper W2 if you are mailing in according to the help desk and of course the letter. This is to have the return accepted not audited etc. I mailed the forms with W2s this morning. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies