gridirongirl

My wife is a truck driver. We live in Oklahoma, but her trucking company is in Kansas. The only withhold for Kansas, and are not registered in Oklahoma. How do I file?

MinhT

As a truck driver, your wife's income is considered earned in her home state. You'll have to file a resident state return for Oklahoma and pay state tax (you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax). You also have to file a non-resident state return for Kansas to obtain a refund of state tax withheld.

gridirongirl

Thank you. Do I then list my income as "0" for the Kansas nonresident filing in order to get the full amount refunded?
MinhT

Yes
gridirongirl

Thank you!
gridirongirl

Would I also list the income as taxed by both Oklahoma and Kansas for the credit in my Oklahoma return? The Oklahoma section asks: "Did you pay tax to another state on income that is also taxed by Oklahoma?"
MinhT

You should answer No to this question as the tax was unduly withheld in Kansas.